EBRSO Releases Preliminary Information in Deputy-Involved Shooting Incident

East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Deputies responded to a residence in the 10000 block of Northdale Drive at approximately 4:50 a.m. after receiving a call from Baker Police Department in reference to an alleged suicidal woman being held against her will by a boyfriend.
Baker Police received a 911 call from a woman stating that a woman contacted her and said that she was being held hostage and beaten by her boyfriend. The caller stated the woman was suicidal and needed assistance. The caller could only provide Baker Police with the woman’s phone number, but did not know the address. Baker Police called the number provided and spoke to a man that would not provide any information before hanging up on the officer. Baker Police then contacted AT&T to obtain the subscriber address related to the phone number provided. The phone service provided Baker with the address on Northdale Drive. Baker Police then built a call in the communications system for EBRSO as the address provided was located outside the city limits of Baker on Northdale Drive.

Two EBRSO uniform patrol deputies responded to the address provided by Baker Police obtained through the phone service. Once at the residence, a uniformed deputy knocked on the door and a man, armed with a handgun, exited from the residence. The deputy gave verbal commands for the man to drop the weapon, but when commands were not complied with, the deputy fired one shot striking the man in the right shoulder. The man was transported to the hospital with a non-life threatening injury. The woman was later located at a different address and transported for treatment.

“Baker Police and East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s deputies acted in good faith on the information they were given,” Sheriff Sid Gautreaux said. “Our deputy entered a situation in which he believed a woman was being held against her will. When confronted with an armed man that did not comply with verbal commands, he had a split second decision to make. We will continue to thoroughly investigate this incident and have a complete after-action review after all the facts are gathered.”

As is standard procedure, the deputy was placed on paid administrative leave following the incident. The investigation is ongoing.

Powered by General Informatics EBRSO