The first annual First Responders’ Championship Blood Drive started today. The United Services Blood bus is located in the parking lot of EMS on Harding Boulevard from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. for law enforcement, fire, medical personnel and other interested donors.
Below is the full list of dates and locations for the drive:
July 15th – EMS Parking Lot on Harding (10 a.m. to 3 p.m.)
July 17th – Troop A on Highland (10 a.m. to 3 p.m.)
July 18th – New BRPD Headquarters on Airline (10 a.m. to 3 p.m.)
July 21st – Downtown in the Constables parking lot next to City Court (10 a.m. to 3 p.m.)
Facts about blood donation:
Click Here For Additional Information
- Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood
- More than 41,000 blood donations are needed every day.
- A total of 30 million blood components are transfused each year in the U.S.
- The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints.
- The blood type most often requested by hospitals is Type O.
- The blood used in an emergency is already on the shelves before the event occurs.
- Sickle cell disease affects more than 70,000 people in the U.S. About 1,000 babies are born with the disease each year. Sickle cell patients can require frequent blood transfusions throughout their lives.
- More than 1.6 million people were diagnosed with cancer last year. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.